Sunday, June 14, 2015

Colorful pens!

(1) Titus pens can be bought at National Bookstore for 7.50 each.
(2) I bought a set of ten colored pens for 200 at Egg in SM Manila.

I bought new pens!

Yes, I have this weird fascination about colorful pens. I've been using different color of pens when taking down notes since high school. It helps me to make it more readable and easier to memorize.

I use different color for the title, for the key words, and for the definition. I think it's very effective for visual learners. Believe it or not, whenever I'm taking an exam I can remember which color of pen I used for a certain concept. It's like I'm making a mind map inside my brain.

I hate red pens.

Contrary to the norms, I don't really like using red pens in checking. Students think that they are being marked more harshly if it's written in red. Well, it's based on my own experience when I was a student. 

I don't want to give my students a bloody test paper. Sociologists Richard Dukes and Heather Albanesi from the University of Colorado told the Journal of Social Science: 'The red grading pen can upset students and weaken teacher-student relations and perhaps learning.'

Writing in red seems to shout in the same way as writing in all caps or writing which is underscored.Writing in the color red is loaded with emotion, and this additional emotional loading of messages on the grading of student assignments may not be a tactic that teachers should use to convey constructive, critical comments to students.



No comments:

Post a Comment